If you want to take your barbecue skills up a notch, why not attempt to roast a whole pig? Impress friends and family by serving them roast pig with crispy, flavorful skin on the outside and moist, juicy meat on the inside.
Here’s a quick guide to help you get started on roasting your hog:
1. Ask your butcher to thaw out and if possible, butterfly the pig for you. It should save you time when you’re ready to roast your pig! After all, that’s what your butcher is for.
2. You would also want to prepare your dry rub for your pig.
Here’s a suggestion:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- three tablespoons of salt
- 1/2 cup black pepper (ground)
- 1/2 cup cayenne pepper
3. Mix them in a bowl and set aside.
4. The amount changes depending on the size of your pig so feel free to scale up your dry rub ingredients to accommodate your pig size.
5. You can also prepare your injections to keep the pig tasting juicy.
6. After you have your pig and dry rub ready, it will be time to start prepping it for roasting. 7. Coat the meat with yellow mustard but make sure you’re not getting any of the yellow mustard on the skin.
8. When the coating is done, you can now start applying your dry rub all over the meaty parts of the hog. All the same, avoid getting the dry rub on the skin.
9. What happens to the skin, you ask? You clean it up from possible debris from the dry rub after you’re done with the inside of the hog. After you’ve cleaned that up, spreay the skin with vegetable oil so it doesn’t burn inside the roast box.
Now you’re ready for roasting! We recommend the La Caja China. The La Caja China reduces your prep time significantly and any one can use it. Read here to find out how to do it step by step! The La Caja Chinea is hailed as a wonder box since it takes away most of the time allotted to making sure it’s roasting properly. You just stick the roast pig in the La Caja China roast boxes and it will work its magic for you!
Now you have a basic idea how to cook a whole hog on a grill. Here’s how to make marinade for a whole pig. Check out their website to get your own La Caja China barbecue grill. You can also call them at 1-800-338-1323.
You’re in luck! Get a 10% discount on the next grill you purchase by watching this: